Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Water retention sucks.

Ok...I know some people say that you should only weigh yourself once a week rather than every day, but I'm about to tell you how daily weigh ins have saved my sanity. After losing two pounds on my first week of SSHE, this week (so far) I seem to have gained it back, despite riding 40+ miles on Sunday, Monday, AND Tuesday. Here's what I think is going on:
1) I know from my marathon days that I tend to hold on to 2-3 lbs of water after running more than about 6 miles or so, as my leg muscles repair themselves. By the middle of the week following such a run, I'm in the bathroom more often than I should be and it's all gone. I know this because I weigh every day. I'm starting to think that this same thing applies to riding my bike alot, but I don't have the threshold nailed down because I'm just getting started with the PYFAO program.
2) Aunt Flo will be arriving in town imminently. That bitch is making me crabby and is making me doubt myself on the scale. I hate her, but I DO enjoy that monthly reassurance that I'm not knocked up.
3) I'm not drinking enough water. It's a scientifically documented fact that if you are dehydrated, your body will seriously suck back the fluids to protect itself. I found this article to be helpful. 8 glasses (8 ounces each) is the MINIMUM you should have, more when you're exercising. My goal is half my body weight in ounces every day (e.g. A 200 lb person would drink 100 ounces of water), and right now that's about 12 glasses for me. I've not been doing a good job of that this week, but doing this little bit of internet research about water retention has drawn my attention back to it.

Well...I have my women's open hockey session tonight, so that should be good for helping me sweat off some of this. I also take a 32 ounce bottle with me and make sure I finish it before getting back home.

BTW...A fairly enjoyable ride home yesterday, really nice tailwind. Uber-Hubby came down to ride home with me (I love it when he does that, even though he says it's because he thinks I'll wimp out & get the bus home at the halfway point). Changing my second flat in 3 days did nothing to dampen my enthusiasm. :-)

If you're reading this, DRINK SOME WATER.....NOW.

Remember, get off the couch and
Pedal Your Fat Ass Off

No comments: