Sunday, April 20, 2008

3 Years of Unparalleled Hell

Well, no...not even close, actually. Uber-Hubby and I celebrated our 3rd church-iversary this weekend. The legal-versary was back in December, but that was just the quickie thing for health care coverage purposes. April 23rd is the "real" one, as far as I'm concerned. We usually pick a nice hotel in the city (downtown St Paul or Minneapolis), catch whatever's interesting at one of the many theaters, and have a really decadent dinner with expensive wine and all that good stuff. It's generally the one time a year I can get Tom to take me to the theater, so I take advantage of it.

We saw Triple Espresso: A Highly Caffeinated Comedy, which has been playing in Minneapolis for the last 12 years or so, but is closing this month. It was a good laugh...nothing that made my sides hurt, but a good laugh nonetheless. One of my favorite parts was how they had a little audience participation, and this elderly couple right in front of us was picked to be the parents of one of the characters. They really got into it, and it was fun just watching them enjoy themselves.

So...This year we stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Minneapolis. VERY nice place, we've stayed there before, and it also happens to house the restaurant I wanted to try, The Oceanaire Seafood Room. The food was amazing, the service was excellent, and were it not so bloody expensive I'd love to eat there all the time. As usual, Tom had his camera along for the ride:
The first thing we noticed was that they actually personalized our menu!
I just thought that was a really nice touch. Here's me with our awesome waiter, Chad:This guy was just great. Funny, really knowledgeable about the menu without coming across as pretentious. The pic was actually taken closer to the end of the evening, after I'd had more than half a bottle of this:At $60 for the bottle, it's probably the most expensive wine I've personally ever had, but it was worth every penny. Here's me enjoying another glass:The manager stopped by to wish us a Happy Anniversary, and I was glad to have the chance to tell her how much we appreciated the service Chad was providing. Those folks don't get enough GOOD comments...just bad ones on the occasions they screw up or get stuck with a cranky customer. Anyway, to cap off the evening, they surprised us with Baked Alaska for dessert:
It had some lovely butter brickle ice cream inside, but we were so full by this point that I was barely able to finish a slice. Thankfully, we didn't have far to go to get back to our room, because neither of us was in any condition to do more than walk a little bit. We got up this morning and went to breakfast at Hell's Kitchen before picking up the dog from his little mini-vacation at the kennel (Woof Dah) and heading back home.

I even made time this evening for a nice little ride on the Pink Taco, my obnoxiously pink fixed gear bike. Everything is pink on this bike, and if you've seen the movie Van Wilder, you'll understand the name. Though this pic was taken last summer, I looked pretty much like this as I tooled around the park trail:
So...Even though I had several meals this weekend that weren't exactly on the SSHE plan, I still managed to get some riding in. Work is making me go to a different location this coming week, so my opportunities to ride to and from will be somewhat limited. I'll have to take walks on my lunch break and hop on the bike after I get home or something to make up the miles.

Remember...Get off the couch and
Pedal Your Fat Ass Off

No comments: