Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Brussels Sprouts...Shrunken Heads, or Tasty Little Vegetable?

My childhood experience with brussels sprouts was NOT good. I don't know if it was just me being picky or if my Mom did something to them, but I recall doing everything possible to avoid eating those things. Don't get me wrong...My mom is an excellent cook, but there are just a couple of things that didn't work well...Salmon patties and sloppy joes with mustard-based BBQ sauce are two that I can name right now. When it came to brussels sprouts, they would languish on my plate until everyone else had left the room and my parents made me sit there until I finished everything. Fortunately for me, however, they weren't smart enough to remove the trash can from the dining room when they left me there, so as soon as I was alone, in the bin they went. My parents thought their tactic of leaving me in the dining room was working, and I didn't actually have to eat what I thought resembled little shrunken heads, so I guess it was a win-win situation all around. I'm honestly not sure Mom ever figured out what I was doing.

Anyway...This evening's dinner on the SSHE plan was cheese lasagna, spiced pears, and...you guessed it...brussels sprouts. Stuffing back screams of bad childhood food memories and in keeping with my commitment to at least try everything I'm given on this plan (ok, except the plain cooked spinach), I spritzed the little bastards with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, added a little pepper & garlic salt, and dug in. I was surprised that they really weren't all that bad. I might even look forward to them the next time this meal comes around in the rotation.

Nice way to cap off a decent day at work and an awesome evening bike ride on the Pink Taco.

Remember, get off the couch and
Pedal Your Fat Ass Off

No comments: